Kroger is having a sale on all winter squash. 99cents/lb!
So I loaded up on the squash!
I love fall.
I love winter squash.
and I think you know by now that I loove bacon.
This is by far one of my most favorite side dishes….This is perfect for me! And maybe you. Let me know how it goes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 cups small diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 apple: cored and diced
- 1 (2 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
Set a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and bacon and render, stirring often, until crispy, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the onions and cook until lightly caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, butter and apples and cook, stirring often, until the apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook the squash, undisturbed, for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir, then add the nutmeg, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes and add the stock. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover the pan, and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the squash is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Remove the lid, stir the squash, gently, and reseason if necessary.
Serve immediately while hot.